Thursday 8 January 2015

US SIGHTINGS: Hiker comes face-to-face with big cat

Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 9:00 pm

The Daily Inter Lake 

Weston Harries had a recent encounter in the woods that was both a chilling and exhilarating experience.

Harries, 31, of West Glacier was hiking near dusk Dec. 15 along a frozen creek in Glacier National Park when he faced off with a mountain lion.

“I stopped to listen and look around and I heard a crunch in the snow behind me and to the left, and then I saw a full-grown adult mountain lion moving through the thick trees at very close range,” Harries recounted.

He stayed still and waited for the cat to come to a small opening in the trees.

“That’s when it saw me and stopped,” Harries said. “We were both staring at each other in a standoff for about a minute before it decided to move on without any intent of aggression.”

Harries, a photographer, managed to snap a few photos of the mountain lion with his 100- to 400-millimeter lens.

“I was on the short end of the lens for that one,” said Harries, who also pointed out, “It was definitely closer than you want to see a lion.”

No comments:

Post a Comment